Pushing back the boundaries of architecture
In 2019, the Auditorium-Orchestre national de Lyon acquired a new venue, the Espace découverte (Learning Area), dedicated to learning about and playing music in the centre of the Part-Dieu district. It is equipped with an impressive stock of instruments and facilities for young children, and hosts Ateliers sonores (Sound Workshops) around the year. It is also used during school hours and the times before and after school for special projects, and by day-care centres during the school holidays.
This venue was designed by the cultural outreach teams from the Auditorium-Orchestre national de Lyon in collaboration with an acoustics engineer and an architect. Everything has been designed to enable each person to experience music to the full:
• Special-purpose materials (panels, ceiling, soft flooring to avoid reverberations, windows, etc.) have been used to provide optimal acoustics wherever the listener is located.
• Suitable furniture is available for the youngest users (small chairs, mats, etc.).
• Lighting, multimedia and sound equipment can be adapted to the workshop’s format and requirements.
• The room layout adapts to each workshop: the positioning of the participants and the musical instruments, the choice and arrangement of the furniture, the lighting, etc.
The Espace découverte is equipped with a stock of orchestral instruments. Some instruments are adapted to the size of the children for easier handling and testing.
• 20 stringed instruments: 5 violins, 3 violas, 8 cellos, 4 double basses.
• 10 woodwinds: 3 flutes, 2 oboes, 3 clarinets, 1 bassoon.
• 11 brass instruments: 3 French horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, 1 euphonium and 1 tuba.
• Over 80 percussion instruments: triangles, maracas, bell sticks, rain sticks, güiros, tambourines, auditory decoys, metallophones, xylophones, etc.
>> Businesses can privatise the Learning Area for holding their event. Find out more.
The Auditorium-Orchestre national de Lyon thanks the City of Lyon, the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Region and the Ministry of Culture, who made it possible to create the Espace découverte.
An ambitious symphony concert hall in the heart of Lyon
The Atrium, a real gathering place
The Salle Proton, a novel venue